Friday, August 7, 2009

North Africa Summer '06

North Africa: Construction Project Day 1
(Modifications have been made from my original journal for security purposes)

After an evening of R&R in a town near our destination, we headed out. It's a three hour drive from our original starting point, so it took a while to get there. We ate extremely late (around 11:00-11:30 PM), and we were all quite tired in the end. It was something to see the people live and operate without electricity and running water; the food isn't bad, and I hope no one becomes terribly ill. The housing accommodations were nice, and the mud house is an interesting structure. I can only imagine my Dad in that kind of environment. Such an environment seems better at first, but the lack of decent sanitation tends to turn one off immediately. They make an effort to be semi-clean, but it's hard to do so without running water. The women are extremely hard workers here, and I only wish they would get recognized more for what they do day in and day out. I am truly blessed with Meggan, and I am glad she appreciates it when I help out. I can only imagine how the women here would accept praise for they do. Even so, without JC, they are without hope. Amen.

No comments: