Monday, May 11, 2009

Happy Mother's Day

Grandma, Mama, Me, Moriah

Mother's Day is an opportunity for everyone to remember the one who gave us birth. Yeah, I don't want to go through that! It is a reminder not to take our mother's for granted, which is easy to do. We pray for our mother's, and we ought to be thankful for them.

Now that I have changed many diapers, I am all the more thankful for what my mother did when I was a small child. It's not easy doing the day in and day out parental duties without complaint. What's even harder is to show God's love to a child, for we can become discontent very easily when the child does not obey. For this reason, a good spanking was always necessary for me, and my mother wasn't afraid to apply punishment when needed. For my brother and I, this was necessary nearly every day, yet all of those spankings were not in vain, for that discipline was done in love and not hate or anger.

In a day when so many parents abandon their children through career, drugs, etc., I am thankful that my mother did not abandon us physically or emotionally. She made us a priority, and I believe the Lord has honored that in the way we turned out. Ultimately, only God change the heart, but God's means is especially made known in parenting, whether early or later years.

I love you mom! Happy Mother's Day!

No comments: