Tuesday, May 12, 2009

My Wife: My First Ministry


In the current era, 'ministry' has taken on a definition that it was never meant to take. Ministry as defined today has ushered in a theology that separates the pastor from his family. The rise of the 'professional' clergy has fueled this notion. After all, any other 'profession' does not take work home for the most part. However, when it comes to pastors, this is not Biblical. In reality, according to Titus, a primary qualification of an elder/pastor is related to home life. If a man is not leading his family Biblically, then he certainly ought not lead the local congregation. If he is not loving his wife and raising his children in the nurture and admonition of the Lord, then why would anyone expect him to do the same for the local flock?

For this reason, I am called to shepherd my family first and foremost, with my first ministry being towards my wife. In God's Providence, He has designed the husband-wife relationship to display the relationship between Christ and the Church. God will use our testimony together much more powerfully than He will through any sermon I preach or lecture I give. This does not negate preparation for sermons, but it does remind me that home life must never be neglected. If I'm not loving my wife as Christ loved the Church, then I am denying the greatest God-ordained testimony God has given to us (
Ephesians 5).

Therefore, when times get tight, it is critical that I never put my wife on the back burner behind everyone else, for that does not glorify God but rather weakens our family unit and discredits the Church. When the local congregation or the Church at large sees its leaders having strong family relationships, they, in turn, recognize the power of the gospel to change lives. A pastor can preach about family all day, but if he neglects his own, then his message becomes impotent and lacks credibility. The Lord can still use any message, for His Word never returns void, yet, in the Providence of God He has ordained both the means and the ends.

To Him be the glory in all things! Amen!

No comments: